Swift is the definitive language of Apple development today. It’s a vital part of any iOS and OS X developer’s skillset, helping them to build the most impressive and popular apps on the App Store—the sort of apps that are essential to iPhone and iPad users every day. With version 4.0, the Swift team has added new features to improve the development experience—making it easier to get the results you want and customers expect.
The first book that was released in the Mastering Swift 4 book. Inside this book, you’ll find the key features of Swift 4.0 and quickly learn how to use the newest updates to your development advantage. From Objective-C interoperability to ARC, to closures and concurrency, this advanced Swift guide will develop your expertise and make you more fluent in this vital programming language.
Mastering Swift 4 will give you in-depth knowledge of some of the most sophisticated elements of Swift development including protocol extensions, error-handling, design patterns, and concurrency, and guide you on how to use and apply them in your own projects. You'll see how to leverage the power of Protocol-Oriented program to write cleaner and easier to manage code. We will also show you how Apple uses Protocol-Oriented programming techniques in the Swift standard library.
Some key areas that are covered are:
* Dive into the core components of Swift 4.0, including operators, collections, control flow, and functions
* Create and use classes, structures, and enums
* Understand protocol-oriented design and see how it can help you write better code
* Develop a practical understanding of subscripts, optionals, and closures
* Add concurrency to your applications using Grand Central Dispatch and Operation Queues
* Implement Generics and Closures to write very flexible and reusable codes
* Make use of error handling and the availability feature to write safer code
This book is for developers who want to dive into the newest version of Swift. If you are a developer that learns best by looking at, and working with code, then this book is for you. A basic understanding of Apple's tools is beneficial but not mandatory.
The second book that is released in Swift 4 Protocol Oriented Programming. With this edition, we did a complete re-write and added a lot of new content.
The Swift standard library is developed using protocol-oriented programming techniques, generics, and first-class value semantics; therefore, every Swift developer should understand these powerful concepts and how to take advantage of them in their application design.
This book will help you understand the differences between object-oriented programming and protocol-oriented programming. It will demonstrate how to work with protocol-oriented programming using real-world use cases. You will gain a solid knowledge of the various types that can be used in Swift and the differences between value and reference types. You will be taught how protocol-oriented programming techniques can be used to develop very flexible and easy-to-maintain code.
By the end of the book, you will have a thorough understanding of protocol- oriented programming and how to utilize it to build powerful and practical applications.
Some of the key areas covered is:
* Understand the differences between object-oriented programming and protocol-oriented programming
* Explore the different types that Swift offers and what pitfalls to avoid
* How Protocols and Generics are used in the Swift Standard library
* Delve into generics and see how to use them in a Protocol-Oriented design
* Learn how to implement Copy-On-Write within your custom types
* Implement several design patterns in a protocol-oriented way
* Design applications by prioritizing the protocol first and the implementation types second